The first mission in Marlin was called St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, but the name changed to St. John’s when the first church was built about 1885. Unfortunately, the church burned down on January 25, 1893. The congregation had services in the Presbyterian Church until they built again in 1904 on the northeast corner of the Marlin public square. This building was called “The Little Tin Church” as it was mostly covered with tin. In September 1927 a young graduate of Berkeley Divinity College, F. Percy Goddard, was appointed as the Priest-in-Charge at St. John’s.
St. John’s became a parish at the Diocesan Council in Austin, January 23, 1938. In 1950 a lot on the corner of Carter and Easy Streets was purchased and plans for a new church building were drawn. The “Little Tin Church” was moved near the church and was remodeled to be used as a parish hall. Percy Goddard was minister of St. John’s for 27 years. In May, 1955, he was elected Suffragan Bishop of the Diocese of Texas.
In 1968 the “Little Tin Church”/parish hall was torn down and the memorial hall was built in memory of May Goddard. On November 7, 1971, Bishop Goddard conducted a consecration service of the church and hall. The service began with the burning of the mortgage.
Today St. John’s Episcopal Church holds a very special place in the hearts of the members and the greater Marlin Community.
Sunday Morning Service
Please Join Us
at 9:30 AM
We’d Love to Hear From You
Use the form below to contact us.
Help support St. John’s Episcopal Church and its outreach ministry.